Thursday, March 6, 2008

Update

Hello friends,

I've gotten a very small start on 1 Henry VI. My schedule's been pretty hectic as of late, but I'll try to find some time this weekend to really plow into the play.

You may notice that I've changed the layout a bit. I think it looks slicker this way (though if you disagree, let me know!) In addition to a general new "look", I also have a little poll on the side for kicks and, more usefully, a list of Shakespeare's plays/poems in the chronological order in Harold Bloom's Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human. For a completely arbitrary reason, I'm going to use that list to direct my reading. Of course, that would mean I read Comedy of Errors and Titus out of order, but I say pshaw to that!

BTW, Grace posted a comment on my last Titus post which you should definitely read if you (like me) didn't really "get" Titus. One thing which COMPLETELY went over my head which she points out is that Aaron, who I sort of wrote off as a one-dimensional villain, is the only person who actually loves and protects his family, unlike everyone else in the play. That's certainly interesting. I'm going to post a more detailed response to her as a comment on that post when I've got a bit more time.

p.s.
Everyone, vote in the poll. And vote for Hamlet. :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Aaron. =) He's like the kid in middle school that everyone writes off as "that dumb kid" or "that evil kid" who starts believing those things of himself just because everyone tells him so. His heart's in the right place, he just happens to do things like stab people and think rape is a good idea.
Also, that entire monologue to Lucius when Lucius is about to hang him, about how evil he is? I took to be a desperate last attempt to save his child.

Lucius: Wer'e gonna hang you from this tree, but first, we're gonna kill your baby.
Aaron: WAIT!
Lucius: What?
Aaron: You, um, CAN'T.
Lucius: And why not?
Aaron: Cuz I'm... uh... SO evil that a hanging is too good for me! I drown cats and blind puppies! etc etc etc

The irony is, both Tamora and Titus put forth arguments to not kill their children along the lines of "thrice noble titus, rue the tears I shed!" and "O! O! O!" ... but the first dude who argues his evil nature is the guy who gets what he wants.

this could, of course, be me reading way too much into... everything.

-Grace

Anonymous said...

p.s.
I almost voted for "something else"... but then I remembered that Titus is a comedy.
-Grace

Anonymous said...

Whoops. I voted twice in your poll. I thought it wouldn't let me... but it did.

You should maybe see if there's a way to get it to not let the same IP address vote twice ;-)

Bardolator said...

Yeah, it shouldn't let you vote multiple times, but occasionally it does. Oh well. It's not a scientific poll or anything, so I'm just going to have to hope people use the honor system and don't vote like Chicagoans. ;-)

Bardolator said...

Oh, and Grace? Please tell me that even if you considered Titus a tragedy, you would not vote for it over Hamlet. Please? :-)

Anonymous said...

Woah, woah, woah! A little hidden subliminal messaging at the end there, Mr. Bardolator? I think I'll have to write you up for a Subliminal Misdemeamor as well as for this keg in your glove box. Sorry, sorry. So seriously, (it appears I have to say that quite a lot) it doesn't really matter anyway, since, at the time of this writing, the poll is over. Sadly, now, we have moved away from plays I have read, through ones I might want to read one day, and arrived at ones I probably would never choose to read if left to my own nefarious devices. So, it's your job to convince me otherwise!