Thursday, March 13, 2008

Favorite tragedy poll results; new comedy poll

(taking into account that one of the Hamlet votes was by mistake, and that I know the one "something else" vote was for R&J)

1. Hamlet (8 votes)
2. King Lear (4 votes)
3. Macbeth (3 votes)
4. Romeo and Juliet (1 vote)

Thanks to everyone who voted!

I am now putting up a similar comedy poll, however, working on the suggestion of a couple of my readers, I am going to include all of the comedies as options on the poll rather than just some of them. You may also select multiple plays, if you can't decide on just one (though please, only vote once per play). Finally, I'm using the broad definition of "comedy" which also includes what many people call the "romances".

All right, now please go out and vote!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow.
I just now realized I don't have a fondness for the comedies. (a lot of them, to me, are kind of... well... tragic.)
-Grace

Bardolator said...

You know, I actually agree with you to an extent... I wouldn't quite call them "tragic", but I'll take a Shakespearean tragedy over a Shakespearean comedy any day as a general rule. I haven't read many of the comedies, though, to be honest. The ones I have I've enjoyed for the most part, and I've really liked a few (Midsummer, Twelfth Night, Tempest), but they don't approach the same level in my opinion which Shakespeare achieved in, say, Hamlet, or Othello.

Anonymous said...

Well, you guys might like the tragedies better than the comedies but you should remember that almost none of the comedies set out to do what the great tragedies do. They're not meant to be deep and insightful (most of the time), they're just meant to be comedic. So, while I agree with you that most of his better plays are tragedies, I think we can still appreciate the comedies as being incredibly good examples of funny plays.