Friday, April 11, 2008

Adaptation

So I was watching the 1995 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice yesterday and today (the one with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth), which I had somehow never seen before, and I was astonished by how good it was. Seriously. It was one of the best adaptations I've ever seen, along with the recent Bleak House on Masterpiece Theatre. It's very hard to take a great novel and make a good movie, since they are rather different media. It's especially hard when the novel in question is more than just great, but is one of the best ever written (as is my opinion regarding Pride and Prejudice. Feel free to disagree, but then I shall seriously question your literary taste. It's just one of those things you have to love, like Hamlet and cheese pizza, and, especially, the combination thereof. End Digression).

However, you'd think that a film of a play would be a lot easier. Indeed, some rather straight play-to-film adaptations have worked very well. Alfred Hitchcock's Rope comes to mind as successful film that is almost indistinguishable in form from a stage play. In fact, the media of film and theatre seem to be close relatives. Indeed, on a certain level, they are. They're both visual forms of storytelling, with actors and directors and costumes and sets, and they both tell stories of similar length due to the fact that most human beings are only willing to sit still for so long. (That's why you can have a single novel, The Lord of the Rings, take up almost a dozen hours of film, even with a bunch of stuff cut out; novels have the luxury of telling longer stories than plays or films can, since there's no expectation that a reader will read a novel in one sitting.)

However, I think on a certain level these things are superficial. I've personally acted in a few plays myself, and also in a couple of student films, and I can tell you that the experiences were not at all similar. What works on a stage doesn't necessarily work on film, and vice versa. I could ramble on for a bit as to why I think this is the case, but I'll admit that on a certain level I don't know. I haven't thought it through enough, maybe. I'd be curious as to other people's thoughts on this. But nevertheless, no matter how distinct theatre and film are, I think that novels differ more from both of them than they do to each other.

Tying this into Shakespeare, I've seen a handful, though not all THAT many, film adaptations of Shakespeare's plays. Not a single one of them has been as good as the 1995 Pride and Prejudice adaptation. Why is that? Is it because Pride and Prejudice is about five hours long (without commercials)? Possibly, but Pride and Prejudice is simply a longer story than any of Shakespeare's plays. Is it its faithfulness to the original novel? Well, to a certain extent, but no one ever films a novel perfectly accurately, again, since they are very different media. While I think that faithfulness should be striven towards as much as the director or screenwriter thinks reasonable, simply following the text of a great novel to the letter will not lead, in and of itself, to a great film. Besides, while Shakespeare and Austen are authors of similar caliber, for some reason filmmakers think it is acceptable to alter Austen's words, but general only cut (not modify) Shakespeare's, so most adaptations are extremely faithful, unless it is one of those modern-day adaptations which ditch the original language entirely.

But, being someone who really enjoys stage performances of Shakespeare, I find that the films I've seen don't feel like true adaptations to a different medium. They're more like dilutions. I can't quite express why. Am I the only person who feels this way? Maybe I've just watched the wrong ones? The most important Shakespeare adaptation I have not seen is, shamefully, Branagh's Hamlet. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, and it looks pretty awesome, so I shall have to Netflix it now that it is on DVD. Perhaps it will change my opinion of filmed Shakespeare. We shall see.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the things that you always have to remember about adaptations is that if you compare them to the original medium they are never going to hold up as well. The problem is that you spend all of your time comparing them to the original medium instead of evaluating them on their own merits. Both Branagh and Gibson did excellent movies of Hamlet, but if you watch a (reasonably good) production of the play before you watch the movies you're going to think they're terrible.
Some more examples would be Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing and the recent production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Although if you really want proof of the concept try reading Return of The King just before watching the movie. [rant]I still grumble at my TV every time I see Eowyn kill the Witch King instead of Merry, although I don't think it would bother me if it wasn't all done so politically correctly.[/rant]

Bardolator said...

Ben, by saying "what works on a stage doesn't necessarily work on film, and vice versa", I was trying to indicate that I understand how something can be a good film without necessarily comparing well with the stage play. But there are some Shakespeare movies I've seen where I've never seen the play on stage, and, as films, they still didn't quite work. I'm not saying that every Shakespeare film I've seen is awful; far from it, a few of them were quite good. However, none of them worked as well as the Pride and Prejudice adaptation. That is really just a great mini-series. I've not seen a Shakespearean adaptation which is a great film, yet. But if Branagh's Hamlet is half as good as it looks, I might revise my opinion.

You know, that didn't bother me in Return of the King. What do you mean about how it was done "politically correctly"? I suppose you could say that the very concept of having Eowyn kill the Witch King instead of Merry is "politically correct", but personally I felt like the reason why they were doing that is because otherwise Eowyn really doesn't do a heck of a lot, which is a shame cause she's awesome. Then again, they could've kept it as Merry and everything would've worked, plus Merry's character arc would be better. Hmm...

Anonymous said...

I felt like the reasoning they used for having Eowyn kill the Witch King went something like this:

A. There are very few strong female characters in this story.

B. Eowyn is already written in the book as being at that battle.

C. Why don't we make her an even stronger female character by having this stuff about "no man may kill the Witch King." That way we can have her say "I am no man" and stab him in the face right after we take away Merry's moment of glory.

The "no man" stuff is really what bothered me the most. The only other places I've seen this abominable trope are the really bad fantasy movies and books written for 12 year old girls. Not that all books like that are bad, I quite enjoyed the Enchanted Forest series. However, in this context it seems tacked on and unecessary. More of an attempt by the moviemakers to say "hey, we're not sexist" than an actual necessary change from the book.

Bardolator said...

All right, fair enough. You make some very good points. I'd argue that it is definitely a flaw that there are so few strong female characters, or really female characters at ALL, in the Lord of the Rings, but that's a flaw in the original novel, and whether they should've tried to correct it in the movie is certainly open to debate. (Note that I don't consider this a fatal flaw by ANY means... I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings!)

Bardolator said...

um... wait. But Eowyn DOES kill the Witch-King in the book. Right? I think you've completely made me misremember the plot of the Lord of the Rings... ;-)

"Then tottering, struggling up, with her last strength she drove her sword between crown and mantle, as the great shoulders bowed before her."

Bardolator said...

Or at least I have it on good authority that's the quote. I'm too lazy to look it up right now :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, I wasn't too lazy to look it up and the way it actually goes is Merry stabs the Nazgul Lord in the knee: "But suddenly he [the Nazgul Lord] too with a cry of bitter pain, and his stroke went wide, driving into the ground. Merry's sword had stabbed him from behind, shearing through the black mantle, and passing up beneath the hauberk had pierced the sinew behind his mighty knee." And then comes the "Totterint, struggling up, with her last strength..." part. So basically Merry stops the Nazgul Lord from killing Eowyn which allows her to then kill said Nazgul Lord. So he still gets glory. Oh, and Eowyn also kills the ugly beasty thing that the Nazgul Lord rides on shortly before all that. And if I remember rightly, having seen it only once, I think that's the way it works in the movie, too(?). But as for being PC and having strong female characters, I think The Two Towers movie is the one that can be accused of that. Endless wandering around by Arwen gets boring after a while.