Thursday, February 21, 2008

CoE 2.1

So 2.1 is actually pretty similar to 1.2: we have a conversation between a couple of characters, and then a confused Dromio of E. shows up, and said Dromio is threatened with corporal punishment.

The scene is really about Adriana and Luciana. At first there seems to be a contrast being set up between Adriana, the empowered woman, and Luciana, who is still trapped in the sexism of the era. But by the end of the scene we see Adriana is worrying about her looks and generally not standing up for herself. This isn't cool. I'm going to see whether I like the way these characters are portrayed more as the play progresses (which I recall from my earlier readings I will).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay. As far as female characters go, I think these two are pretty pathetic, even for Shakespeare, which is so dominated by male roles. Adriana seems like she will blow up at anything (preferably a Dromio) and we see as the play goes on that this is true. And she strikes me as a selfish crybaby, although I'm sure that depends GREATLY on the actor(ess)'s interpretation (as in a certain one I'm thinking of...). And yes, Luciana too is pretty pathetic and even though she acts as a much needed calming influence on her sister throughout the play she always seems to say things that bring out how she thinks that women should be all with the "meek" and the awful line "Till he come home again, I would forbear." I guess I'm being feminist there, (what's wrong with that?) but Adriana certainly isn't going to follow Luciana's advice and shouldn't Luciana know that by now (what with the whole "being her sister" thing)? Honestly, why A. of S. falls in love with her is one of the most confusing parts of the play. (That and the miracle of the twins HAPPENING to dress identically. Ah, good ol' Shakespeare.)